Connect With Us

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Teacher Survival Kit

My son starts school July 19th. The town that we moved to works on a year-round school schedule. Growing up I was on a traditional schedule all 13 years of school, so this will be a new experience for all of us. Kam is really excited to start kindergarten next week. The class lists were put up last Friday and we have been school supply shopping since then.

So while surfing Pinterest the other day ( who am I kidding, I’m on it daily, especially the app!) and I came across some new pins for first day of school teach gifts. I don’t remember ever brining anything when I was a kid, so I posted on my personal Facebook page, asking if anyone did this. I got mixed reviews. A few of my friends do, some don’t and 2 teachers I know said that the class wish list was a better thing to purchase from. We had already done that, so I decided to incorporate a few of those items and some more personal ones, in a…

Teacher Survival Kit.

tsb5 copy

I was inspired by a few different blogs, especially here and here.

I got the cute graphics for the front from here.

The contents:

tsb3 copy

I think they are pretty self explanatory. I will say that the tiny containers with lids I found last year at the dollar store and had never used them till now. The push-pins, pencil top erasers, post-its and index cards were $1 each at Michael’s. The rest is from Target’s Dollar Spot and school supply section.

The inside:

tsb4 copy

And the outside:

tsb6 copy

Tutorial:

I used a Basic Grey Lunch Pail Album Kit as my box. This is now discontinued, however any hinged metal box will work. I took a 12x12 piece of red card stock, measured the height and cut. You need 2 strips, since the 12x12 will not go all the way around. There will be overlap, but it doesn’t matter since the crayons will be hiding it. I used a glue stick ( you can also use Mod Podge) to put the paper around the lunch pail. I also cut a notch where the clasp is.

Next we took 3 boxes of these:

tsb2 copy

A quarter each at my Target. ( going to be making a lot more crayon art through the year and this is the best time to buy this). I will say that this is not my favorite brand for actual coloring, but for the projects I have in mind, they work great.

I had my son mix them all up and hand me a color of his choice as I hot glued them around the box. We started in the back, lining them up, doing the left then right then left then right etc, to make sure they were centered. On the sides I decided to make them go both directions.

tsb6 copy

Next was the ribbon. These are the .50 spools from Michaels.

tsb1 copy

I chose the thickest I could at that price. I wasn’t sure if they would stand out enough, but now I think that had I gotten anything thicker, it would have been too much with all the crayons. I also wanted to stay away from it looking too much like a rainbow, so I mixed in a few pastels with the brights. This was simply cutting a piece about 4 inches long and tying a double square not around the posts of the handle, front and back, both sides. There are 3 different colors on each post.

tsb7 copy

Kam is very excited to give this to his new teacher next week.

tsb8 copy

Do you give gifts to your kid’s teachers on the first day of school??



Linked to parties seen here.

11 comments:

  1. This is so cute! What a fantastic project! Would you consider linking this up at my Pinworthy Projects Party? I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a teacher myself, I think this is a fabulous idea! While the items in the box might not get used right away, they will at some point be put to use. I always make sure I give my own children's teachers a bottle of Tylenol at the beginning of the year.

    Followed you over from Southern Institute! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I'm afraid I'm addicted to Pinterest too. Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it teachers are heros to me sharing their wisdom teaching our children where would we be without these heros?

    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/07/stuffed-cabbage-rolls.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a thoughtful thing to do for a teacher! Although our family now homeschools, I have always had a deep respect and appreciation for teachers. I love that you are not waiting until the end of the year to say "thank you", because you're not just thanking them for all that they did throughout the year, but you are thanking them for BEing a teacher to begin with.

    Thank you so much for contributing to Sofia's Ideas {Magic of the Mundane}!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So super cute. I love how you covered the outside with crayons!

    Thanks so much for linking this up to the Pinworthy Projects Party last week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is too cute! I love the crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome- too cute! Featuring you at Things I've Done Thursday this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea and I would love if you get a chance to come link up at my Pin Party.

    http://www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com/2012/07/pintastic-monday-link-party-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I really like this idea. I used to give random gifts to my teachers but not on the first day I don't believe. I know I really loved my third grade teacher and I gave her a book at some point during the year.

    Lauren from all grown up parties

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute. We don't give first day teacher gifts. Too many kids in school and we are spending a fortune outfitting DH's classroom. I save stuff like this for Christmas though! I'd love for you to share this at Pin Inspiration Thursday! http://www.addhousewife.com/2012/07/pin-inspiration-726.html

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by: Rockaboo Designs